Saturday, 11 April 2009

More on St Petersburg Stitch

I've been trying out different ideas with St Petersburg stitch for the last few weeks and have just begun to realise how versatile it is. Tension is vitally important (isn't it always in beading?!) and the variation of finishes that can be achieved by using different bead types has really been worth exploring.

The sample photos (white beads) show firstly a single row then a double row of the stitch worked in size 11 seeds. It drapes well, but wasn't quite the finish I was looking for so I gave some matte size 11 seeds a whirl (3 rows this time). Better, but still not right and the daggers I had in my stash were limiting the colour schemes.

I then tried using some size 10 cylinders (delicas) and fitted some bicones down the middle - this was more what I was looking for, but I didn't like the way the cylinders were jostling against each other because of their squareness.

Finally, I've tried some size 8 seed beads with a matte finish and this seems to be working. No piccies yet as it's still a work in progress, but hopefully soon...

I love peyote, but right now St Petersburg is top of my favorite list!

No comments:

Post a Comment